Reference Guide

A: Tornius' Menagerie, often simply referred to by denizens of Naginag as “the Menagerie”, is a defensive network of six magical beacons placed around the edge of the Isle of Naginag that were created by the wizard-king Tornius II. Each beacon consists of a statue representing an exotic monster holding a large orb which emits colored light. Each orb is usually referred by its color, i.e. the orange Menagerie Orb. (The violet Menagerie Orb was destroyed during the nagas' revolution, but it has since been rebuilt.)

B: Modern readers may be unfamiliar with previous naga naming conventions and find their names to be strange. When Santaheim I created the nagas, he gave each of them a monosyllabic designation that was usually a common word, such as “Ash”. Santaheim I informed his creations that these designations were to be temporary and that each would have to “earn her own name”. After the death of Santaheim II, the nagas decided that they had fulfilled their creator's words and chose new names for themselves. Many nagas incorporated their old designation into their new name. (Later on, it was decided that nagas could also earn an honorific last name bestowed by their monarch.)

Ash = Azshara (deceased)

Trail = Traila

Back = Baculish

Rare = Reraroca (deceased)

C: Mesco's Wall, like Tornius' Menagerie, is often referred to by the simple moniker: “the Wall.” Mesco's Wall is the coastal battlement that surrounds most of the Isle of Naginag. It was built during the reign of Mesco II. The Menagerie was later placed on top of this structure, and the violet Menagerie Orb sits on wall's extreme east, adjacent to the royal palace.

D: Seti Tal, god of serpents and poisons. More commonly called by his informal name, “Seth”, in the nagas' state religion.

E: Lahlia the Damned was the consort of the legendary Gabstall the Great, a paladin of Q'thelas who crusaded throughout the Great Wars. She was abducted by an army besieging the city and pressed into unwilling servitude as a demonic host. Presumably, she is kept captive because of her former allegiance to the ancient Quelese.

F: What Kitiala and Pugul witness is the opening volley of Back (Baculish Daughter-of-Seth) against Battle Master Faerun's tower in the royal palace. Faerun's defeat at the hands of Back is tangental to this story but is still considered one of the greatest duels of wizardry of all time.



Table of Contents