Chapter 7

The next day, Kitiala took advantage of a break during her shift to go down to the bay in search of Pugul. Fortunately for Kitiala, Pugul was waiting in the shallows and willing to make good on her promise to teach her magic.

"Now, you're sure I can do this even though I'm not a murlock?" Kitiala asked while climbing into the water.

"Absolutely, child," Pugul said confidently. "It's difficult for land folk to comprehend aquamancy, but I think anyone could learn if they kept an open mind. You, child, have a gift. I know you can do this."

"All right, mother," Kitiala said, smiling. "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

Pugul nodded. "First of all, you need to learn to feel the mana. All mana is like the vast ocean." She gestured toward the Southern Ocean. "The tides of mana rise and fall, flowing on us and over us and through us. Our living souls are vessels wherein it collects. We draw upon these pools and pour out the mana to use magic."

Kitiala understood. Learning to be conscientious of her mana was the first lesson Jobis had taught her. He had even used a similar analogy.

Pugul continued, "The mana gathers in the chest, and we focus it through the mouth. Then we speak to the water, and the water hears."

"How do you control the water?" Kitiala asked.

"Control?" Pugul shook her head, a stiff gesture meant for creatures with longer necks. "No, no, no. This is not brutish Man-magic. Aquamancy is not about controlling the water. I said 'speak to the water'."

"Well, what do you say to it?" Kitiala inquired.

"Ask the water to do what you want it to," Pugul stated.

Kitiala was trying to keep an open mind. "Sounds simple enough. Let's try it."

"Remember: let the mana flow from your mouth," Pugul explained. "Some aquamancers find it helpful to use somatic gesticulations to visualize the desired effect."

Kitiala raised her hands. "Right. What should I try first?"

Pugul pointed at a nearby wave. "Bid the water part."

Kitiala was astonished. "Woah, like part the ocean?"

"No, silly child," Pugul corrected, "part the wave!"

Kitiala closed her eyes and concentrated. She felt the mana inside of her and mentally directed it to her chest. She opened her eyes, held her right hand up and projected the mana out her mouth, shouting, "Part!"

The low ocean wave rolled on and splashed against them, completely unhindered by Kitiala's efforts.

Pugul was perplexed. "Why did you shout?"

"I don't know," Kitiala replied. "Isn't that how you're supposed to cast spells?"

"No, child, you yell at those you don't like. The water is not your enemy. You must never treat it so," Pugul stated.

"I don't understand, mother," responded Kitiala. "The water was coming and I was trying to stop it."

"You speak with the water; you talk to it. You persuade it; you coax it. If you treat the water like an opponent, you will always lose to it. If you treat it as your ally, it always will be." Pugul lifted her hand out of the water. "Watch."

Pugul twirled her hand in a spiral motion in the air. A gentle whirlpool formed in the water between her and Kitiala. The water lifted up, transforming into a slowly rotating spout about half the size of Kitiala, suspended in the air. All the while Pugul spoke in a low, barely audible whisper. She stopped suddenly, and the water dropped back into the ocean. She then pointed at another incoming wave. "Part the wave."

"Uh, 'part' didn't seem to do it. What are the magic words?" Kitiala asked.

"There are no magic words...no secret code. You say what the mana inspires you to." Pugul pointed again. "Part the wave."

Kitiala tried again. She focused her energy and relaxed, staring at the wave and waiting for the gathered mana to reveal to her what to say. As the targeted wave approached, she concentrated and held her hands high, ready to act.

Suddenly, she thought she heard a voice in her mind. It was just a whisper. She exhaled the mana from her mouth and tried to repeat what she thought she'd heard.

The wave kept coming, but something did happen. It was barely perceptible, but the wave seemed to hesitate for just a split-second before splashing into Kitiala and Pugul.

Pugul croaked with delight. "Magnificent, child! The water heard you, and on only the second attempt! In all my years of teaching aquamancy, not even the most talented adept could perform such a feat in so little time."

"I did it? I did it! I really did!" exclaimed Kitiala. "Oh, mother, thank you!" Kitiala gave Pugul a hug and started heading back to shore.

"Where are you going, child?" Pugul called. "You have to practice!"

"I have to go back to work!" Kitiala called. "I'll practice later! I promise!"

Kitiala climbed onto shore, hastily wiped water off of herself, and dressed. She then rushed into the busy guildhall and was heading for the stairs when she heard someone call her name. She looked and saw a pale-skinned, raven-haired Quelese girl that looked to be about her age holding a backpack. Kitiala turned around and approached, saying, "Cheerio. I don't believe we've met."

"Ash sent this," the girl responded in a breathy voice, handing Kitiala the pack. "I marked the potions for you. I brewed and bottled them this morning."

"Right," Kitiala said, recalling what Ash had told her. "If you don't mind me asking, who are you?"

The girl inclined her head slightly. "Trail, underpriestess of Taran."

"Oh, are you a...?"

"Yes," Trail said, quickly cutting Kitiala off. "You'll probably see me again. I need to return to my duties."

Trail made an about-face and left. After pausing a moment to reflect on what had just transpired, Kitiala shouldered the backpack and headed for the stairs again.



Next Chapter
Previous Chapter
Table of Contents