Chapter 4

Ash walked the corridors of the palace, heading toward the nagas' living quarters. She had been up most of the night contemplating what she had witnessed yesterday.

In a private room, behind a barred door deep in the bowels of the palace, her sisters were waiting for her. Ash rapped the secret knock on the door, and they let her in. She embraced each of the three: Trail and two other nagas, all of whom had been magically aged like Ash. After some small talk and idle gossip, they got down to business.

"I talked to some of the leaders of House DiFrancesca. They said that it wouldn't be in their best interest to support a rebellion," said Rare.

"Well, I talked to House Gilasgalow," added Back. "They're on board. Ivarsal Barrelrider's hatred for the king is pretty strong. He's still sore about losing that duel with Santaheim."

"I just visited the temple district. Most of the priests have agreed to support the revolution, and the others have promised to stay out of the way. The Church's membership is swelling," Ash said, referring to the church of Taran. "We've got a few hundred clergy in our service now. Morale is pretty solid, but they're running low on supplies. Donations have been trailing off, and Battle Master Faerun has been shifting more golems to the larder. I think they're getting suspicious."

"Is there any chance of turning the battle golems to our side?" Rare asked.

"No," answered Trail. "I thoroughly explored that option. They're unswervingly loyal to the Battle Master, and he's totally loyal to the king. They won't break their control under any circumstances short of the Battle Master’s death. They will oppose us."

"We should destroy them. Kendar can repair them, but even he doesn’t know the secret to building more," retorted Rare.

"How?" replied Trail. "It’s not like we can stab them in their sleep or poison their food. Brute force or destructive magic is the only way to disable a battle golem, which is just as good as fighting them. We don’t have the resources…"

"We don't have much time," interrupted Ash. "We need to brainstorm. The burning question is: how are we going to take Santaheim out?"

Back asked, "How can we? He's so paranoid, he has guards with him all the time: even when he's asleep! Santaheim won't even use a chamber pot without his bodyguards in the room with him."

Ash then said, "An assault in the palace isn't feasible. They thwart assassination attempts all the time. We have the catch him outside of the palace, away from its guards and wards."

"He doesn't often leave the palace. What would draw him out?" asked Back

"I've studying the violet Menagerie Orb for a while. I've seen the king take stroll up on the Wallc every now and again," said Rare.

"There are a lot of soldiers on the wall. That's a lot of bribing and blackmailing to set up," stated Ash.

"There's always the Courtesans' Guild," Trail said. "He's been going there a lot lately."

"Could we bribe the guards?" Rare asked.

"He always uses battle golems as bodyguards," explained Trail. "They can't be bribed."

"They don't use magic, either," added Rare. "They could be fooled with a glamer."

"That’s not true. They don't cast spells, but they can see auras," Trail replied.

Ash spoke up again, "That girl you saw there the other day, the one you said looked like me, he's taken a liking to her. There might be a potential weakness to exploit."

"Yes, of course!" exclaimed Trail. "When he is with one of the girls, he leaves his guards in the hallway."

"I could masquerade as the girl. If I can get alone with him, I can do the deed myself," Ash said confidently.

Back chimed in, "But, he's a very powerful wizard! Are you sure you can take him by yourself?"

Ash immediately answered, "Not in a fair fight. But if his guard is down..."

Rare said flatly, "I don't know, Ash."

"Relax, I'll use my womanly wiles," Ash said, batting her eyelashes. "My only concern would be that a piece of the equipment that he wears all of the time might interfere. He probably keeps some of it on even while in bed. Anybody have any idea of what he usually uses that could stop me?"

"The gold necklace with the large emerald is a periapt of proof against poison, I'm certain of that," stated Back. "I think the ruby-studded bracers are some kind of fire retardant."

"I've noticed he usually wears a purple cloak around the palace, but he has a red one he wears while outside. It has some kind of counter against spells," said Rare.

"This is a good start, but we need more information. Trail, he likes to use you as an escort a lot. Do you think you can find out more?" asked Ash.

Trail considered the matter. "Uh, ok, but there's something else I don't think you know about. The man is a sadist. I mean, he derives pleasure from beating those girls, pretty badly sometimes. If he tried that on you...well, he'll be in for a surprise."

"A vulnerability spell, perhaps?" Rare quipped. "Bring a potion with you?"

"It might be too much. He could just touch me and I'd start bleeding." Ash looked at Trail. "The girl! We could use her as a body double."

Trail shook her head. "His bodyguards thoroughly check the room before the king enters. They'd see you, even if you were hidden or invisible."

"Not only that, how would you control the girl?" asked Back.

"With a charm, you have to be right next to her, telling her what to do. Missives won't work," mentioned Rare.

"Yes, and, like Rare said earlier, Santaheim is a talented wizard. He'd see right through a possession," said Trail. "Plus, you'd have no way to end it without casting a spell. He'd be sure to notice."

Rare tried another idea. "Why not use a decoy instead?"

Ash shook her head. "Shadow decoys aren't sophisticated enough. We'll simply have to convince the girl to do it. That's all there is to it. She may assist us of her own free will. After all, I doubt she thinks much of the king. She couldn't possibly enjoy being abused."

"And, you can hide in the floor," quickly added Rare. "They'd regard you as vermin with a sense life spell. The girl would simply have to stall him long enough for you to transform back."

"Smashing idea," Ash said. "I'll speak with the girl today. Rare, how much more time do you need to figure out the Menagerie?"

"Not long. Less than a fortnight," Rare replied.

"We need a date and time for the king's demise," Ash said. "What do you think, Trail?"

"Let's say: one week from now. I'll make sure the king visits the Courtesans' Guild that night," Trail said. "In the meantime, I'll discover the spell lore behind the king's favorite livery and jewelry. That way you'll have no surprises."

"Right," Ash said. "Back, go talk to the rest of the factions like we'd planned, starting with the Behr'rooj ambassador."

"I'll tell House Azgalor to start sending food to the Church, too," Back said. "That way we won't get caught raiding the king's pantries."

"Good idea. We shouldn't need it for too much longer. I do believe we have a plan, sisters," Ash wrapped up. "Let's meet back here at noon in two days."

They agreed and Ash said a short prayer on their behalf. They silently embraced and left, each determined to accomplish her task.



Next Chapter
Previous Chapter
Table of Contents