Chapter 12

Kitiala hurdled toward the ocean. Tears streamed from her eyes as she struggled to maintain concentration while in freefall. She spoke to the water below, and a column of mist rose up to envelope her and break her fall.

The pillar descended and eased Kitiala into the warm water. She looked up to steal a glance of the second story window she had just dove out of but stopped herself. No looking back, she told herself.

Kitiala started swimming out of the lagoon. Her newfound knowledge of aquamancy helped her to swim faster than she ever thought possible. She was sure that she would be in the open ocean within a few minutes.

Suddenly, the night sky became as bright as daytime. Kitiala surfaced and saw a giant web of scintillating rainbow colors appearing over the city. The beams of light crashed into the water just a few meters in front her, barring her way and trapping her inside.

Kitiala uttered a couple magic words and touched her throat. She submerged and took a good look around. The rainbow-like beams of light were easy to spot. They continued pretty far underwater, but not to the very bottom. Kitiala took full advantage of her water breathing spell and swam to the bottom of the ocean. She just barely slipped under the ends of the rainbow web and could feel the warmth of their power as she passed beneath them.

Kitiala rose up to where she was just under the water. Looking around while swimming, she spotted Pugul floating on the surface. She made a beeline for her and surfaced just in front of her.

"Is he dead?" Pugul had already known about the assassination attempt from her Gilasgalow allies.

"Yes, mother." Kitiala handed Pugul the artifacts she had stolen from the king. "Here is your payment, as promised."

"Thank you." Pugul quickly examined each one and handed most of them back. "Keep these for yourself, child. If I were you, I would wear the girdle and leggings for your protection and sell the crown. You'll need the money."

For my new life, far from Q'Inag, Kitiala thought.

In the distance, they heard what sounded like an explosion behind them. They turned just in time to see through the rainbow web a huge blue fireball fly across the city from west to eastf. Seconds later, the entire magic web encompassing the island retreated back into the sky and disappeared.

"The Menagerie has been defeated. That is my call to action. Goodbye, Kitiala." Pugul sighed somberly, touching the top of her head to Kitiala's (as a murlock sign of friendship). "I don't suppose I'll see you again. Good luck."

Pugul swam toward the island while Kitiala submerged and headed west toward the mainland. Several minutes into the Behr'rooj Channel, she surfaced and looked east. The island was bright despite the darkness of night, ablaze with multiple raging fires. The revolution had begun.

Yet, it was not her revolution. She continued toward the mainland and never looked back again.

Trail's Tale
Previous Chapter
Table of Contents