Chapter 1

Kitiala limped through the back streets of the Docks District, making her way to the alley where Jobis would be waiting for her. Her day had gone a little long with the unexpected visit of His Royal Highness. Though she was sure that Jobis would wait for her, she quickened her pace as she drew near the predesignated spot. Kitiala was eager to get started with the day's training.

At last she arrived, slipping between two fence posts into a narrow, dead end alley. Jobis was indeed waiting on her and called her name upon spotting her. She strode up to him, wrapped her arms around him, and kissed him passionately. After a few moments, he playfully pushed her away, stating, "Business before pleasure, my dear." He then noticed her crooked stance and asked, "Is everything all right?"

"I'm fine," she replied. "Let's get on with it."

So they picked up where they had last left off. Jobis had stacked some rocks and bricks at the far end of the alley. Kitiala raised her right hand and pointed it at one of makeshift targets, carefully aiming so that her index finger and the target were exactly lined up in her sight.

Trying hard to keep her breathing a steady rythym, Kitiala mentally willed her mana to focus on her fingertip. When she felt that she had control of it, she spoke the magic words. The focused mana lit up, manifesting as a tiny purple bead of glowing energy. Encouraged by her success thus far, she relaxed and devoted all of her concentration into manipulating the energy. The purplish sphere enlongated into an oval, growing about the length of her outstretched finger. The missile was ready to launch, and what seemed like ages had actually only been a few seconds.

Kitiala mentally released the manifested mana, and the magical projectile flew from her fingertip and crashed into the alley wall, blowing out small chunks of stone and leaving behind a tiny puff of smoke. It had missed the targets entirely.

Jobis frowned. "You let go too soon, Kit. You have to use your mind to guide the magic missile to your intended destination. It won't do it on its own."

"I was pointing right at it. It should have hit," Kitiala protested.

"No, this is not some bullet you sling around with the hopes of hitting something. The point of aiming at the target is help you to remain focused. Stay with it from start to finish..."

With that, Jobis demonstrated by holding his hands to his side, not even facing the targets, turning his head and casting the spell. His magic missile darted out a few centimeters and then abruptly changed course, turning at a sharp angle without losing velocity. It struck one the targets he was looking at with a thud. "...like that. A magic missile should never miss."

Kitiala tried again and, after a few tries, managed to hit a target. She practiced for a couple of hours, receiving instruction from Jobis when appropriate. All the while she continued to improve.

When it started to grow dark they quit, fearful that someone may notice their spell-casting in the darkness. Jobis wasn't a member of any of the magic guilds, and teaching magic without a guild license was a serious crime. Kitiala couldn't afford what licensed instructors charged, but she could afford Jobis. All he required was a little female companionship, which she was now obliged to pay. As the orange glow of the closest Menagerie Orba began to suffuse throughout the district, Kitiala and Jobis walked together back to his flat.



Next Chapter
Table of Contents